Friday, December 10, 2010

Legal Authority: How I made contact

Choosing the right lawyer is an extremely important decision made on part by the designer seeking legal advice. Lawyers actually specialize in Intellectual Property (referred to as IP) Law. Since the IP laws seemingly overlap, it is important to interview numerous lawyers to find the right one who has experience in the specific issue facing your IP.

The book I’ve used as my “home base”, Patent, Copyright & Trademark. Nolo. 11Ed., has stated that no only does an IP Lawyer need a law degree, but they “are required to have a technical higher education degree as well as a legal background and must pass a USPTO examination in order to obtain their license” (Patent, Copyright & Trademark. Nolo. 11Ed. p104). The book suggests I use the listing on their website (www.nolo.com) appropriately titled: “Attorneys and Agents Registered to Practice Before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office”, to find lawyers who are qualified to practice in IP law. This is where I obtained the majority of my potential contacts for this class project.

“The most well-known benefit of owning IP: the owner acquires exclusive rights and can file a lawsuit to stop others who use the property without authorization” (Patent, Copyright & Trademark. Nolo. 11Ed. p5). After calling numerous lawyers (see my lawyer list from week 7 in my blog) I was left with no responses. Seems they don’t return phone calls very easily. I quickly realized that I needed a new plan of attack and decided to interview my friend Jessica Pedraza. I choose Jessica because she graduated from the Law School at the University of Colorado earlier this year. Although she doesn’t have experience specifically practicing IP Law, I knew that she would be able to make very informed decisions in helping me answer some legal questions I had and help me complete this class project.

No comments:

Post a Comment